Suggested locations for the other placenames are thus based on comparing the sketch map with other early maps and noting their relative position of other named points of land (Table 1.1 nos. These included Bungaree and his family who came from Broken Bay. — 1832, ‘Native Names of Points of Land in Port Jackson (south shore) and Native Names of Points of Land, North Shore of Port Jackson, reproduced in Native vocabulary of miscellaneous New South Wales objects’, Journal of the Royal Society of New South Wales, no. See Table 1.1 for key to placenames and sources. — 1796, New South Wales Sketch of the Settlements, 20th August 1796 by Governor Hunter [Enclosure to Portland 20th August 1796], reproduced in Historical Records of NSW Vol. — 1993, ‘Language Contact in Early Colonial New South Wales 1788 to 1791’, in M. Walsh and C. Yallop (eds), Language and Culture in Aboriginal Australia, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra: 33-50. You have reached the end of the main content. Bediagal, Bidjigals, Bid-ee-gàl, Bejigal. Introduction . 3 – Hunter 1796-1799, F. M. Bladen (ed.) ], State Records NSW Map no. 2 – Phillip 1783-1792, Government Printer, Sydney: 304-310. Skelsey, M. 2004, ‘Sydney to Harbour a Double Identity’, Daily Telegraph, Tuesday 29 June 2004: 11. Map of the Town of Sydney 1831, Compiled by Hoddle, finished by Larmer, State Records New South Wales, Map no. From documents found to date, it appears that there were three main periods when Aboriginal placenames for Port Jackson and Botany Bay were documented: 1788-1800, 1828-1836 and 1873-1899, with much smaller numbers reported in the intervening periods, and only one after 1900. An undated County of Cumberland Parish Map for Willoughby incorporated Aboriginal placenames from Larmer’s list. Marriott, E. W. 1988, The Memoirs of Obed West. Barcom Press, Bowral, NSW. The name ‘Willárrá’, if a written variant of ‘Woo-lā-ră’, may have referred to a larger area than just Point Piper (Watson 1918: 374), as the latter (Woo-lā-ră) was recorded as the name for ‘The Look-out’ (Southwell 1788[1893: 699] which was at Outer South Head (Bradley 1786-1792: Chart 6), known today as Dunbar Head. ‘Biloela’ was the name given to the Public Industrial School and Reformatory for Girls established on Cockatoo Island in 1871 (Jervis 1945: 402; State Records NSW 2006). The documentary sources in which the Aboriginal placenames have been found are discussed below, as well as some of the problems and uncertainties that exist because of their history of recording. More than one Aboriginal name was recorded for a location, e.g. Incorrect recollections may also account for some variations in spelling and location, particularly where the placenames are reported in the reminiscences of late 19th and 20th century authors. Several problems were encountered, particularly when attempting to associate the Aboriginal placenames with specific localities, or in deciding how they should be written down. Captain Arthur Phillip was impressed with the confident and manly behaviour of the Aboriginal people of the Cannalgal and Kayimai clans who waded out to his boat in North Harbour when he was exploring Port Jackson in January 1788. — 1790b, Letter from Governor Phillip to Lord Sydney, Government House, Sydney Cove, February 13th, 1790, in Historical Records of NSW vol. Join us, volunteer and be a part of our journey of discovery! Possibly associated with Borogegy, now know as Bradleys Head. ‘Cooroowal’ could even be outside the Sydney region as the 1899 and later lists included placenames that were in the Illawarra region as well as the Sydney region. Local resident Obed West, however, was adamant that the name ‘Coogee’ belonged to Gordons Bay and that the Aboriginal name for present-day Coogee Bay was ‘Bobroi’. Stack (1906: 46) notes that Larmer “had a wide knowledge of the Aborigines in the Coastal districts in the neighbourhood adjacent to Sydney”. Attenbrow, V. 2002, Sydney’s Aboriginal Past, UNSW Press, Sydney. William Dawes’ orthography in his 1790-1791 manuscript indicates he had some language training. The beach was named after the tribe which inhabited that particular place”. It was not until the end of the 19th century that many more Aboriginal placenames were reported. By comparing the sketch map with other early maps and noting the relative position of the named points of land, quite definite associations can be made (e.g. 1829, Larmer: Between Sydney & Botany Vol. Larmer’s unpublished and published lists (1832, 1832; Aboriginal Names of Places… 1900; Stack 1906), acknowledge the Aboriginal origin of the placenames but there are no details about the people who provided information. Later, 'Nanbarre said Caregal was the man's name, and he lived at, or near Broken Bay' (Phillip in Hunter 1793). Cognate with Old High German manlīh (“manly”) (German männlich), Dutch mannelijk, Old Norse mannligr (“human”) (Danish mandlig, Swedish manlig). The Australian Museum respects and acknowledges the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation as the First Peoples and Traditional Custodians of the land and waterways on which the Museum stands. Of the late 19th century authors, George Thornton and Obed West both mention they had contacts with Aboriginal people (Swancott n.d.: 11; Thornton 1892: 2, 5, 1896 in Organ 1990: 358; West n.d.[c.1882]: 29). 31, no. Nugent, M. 2005, Botany Bay. For many of the placenames, the association between the name and a location known today by a British placename is clear and unambiguous. Grimes, C. 1796, Plan of the Settlements in New South Wales, reproduced in Historical Records of NSW Vol. 6: 22-32, reprinted from The Sydney Morning Herald by permission of the proprietors by Edward Hordern & Sons, Sydney. He died on February 5th, 1903. Around Sydney Harbour (Port Jackson1) and Botany Bay and the intervening coastline (an area I refer to as coastal Sydney), Aboriginal names were recorded for over 100 places, though names can be linked with any certainty to only 89 locations. Wallumede was on the north shore, opposite Warrane (Sydney Cove) (King in Hunter 1793). William L. Manly was a fur, hunting, guide, farmer, and writer. 1, 1829, NSW Surveyor General Fieldbook no. These people from other areas may have learnt the placenames from survivors of the Sydney clans. Aboriginal Names and Meanings. — 1899, ‘Linguistics – Aboriginal Names of Places at Port Jackson and along the Coast’, Science of Man and Australasian Anthropological Journal (New Series), vol. Some names, such as Bondi, Parramatta and Woolloomooloo, were adopted by the colonists and are still used today, but for many other locations the placenames given by the British colonists persisted. Why Mulligan is not just another Irish name, 11. (Marriott 1988: 21-22). Aboriginal Names of Places in Port Jackson, 1900, Science of Man, vol. An outstanding sailor, surveyor, navigator and scientist. Where Histories Meet. Tables 1.1, 1.2 and 1.4 include all placenames, variations in spellings and locations that I found in documents that date from 1788 to 1850, but only the first occurrence of additional placenames in later documents up to and including 1911. Wentworth’s later 1801-1825 list has ‘Bungarong’ against Point Piper, the western headland of Rose Bay. However, it should be noted that the date of the first identified written record of a placename is unlikely to be the time when the placename first came into use. The Aboriginal Heritage Office has moved from Manly to Freshwater (just north of Manly), to: 29 Lawrence St, Freshwater, near Oliver Street.. Table 1.1 nos. His career lasted from 1923 to 1990. (Pagination in text refers to microfilm frame numbers).